BEng (Hons) Software Engineering
Engineering a Career in IT
Retail, manufacturing, defence, healthcare, education – most sectors of government and industry rely on software systems, and professional, competent and the creative software engineers who develop and maintain them.
Our BEng (Hons) in Software Engineering degree offers you the skills and knowledge needed to succeed in this field.
Concerned with the building and maintenance of software systems and other computer-based solutions, software engineering is a truly global industry. By examining all elements of the process – from initial understanding of the problem, through analysis, design, and development, to testing, documentation and maintenance, this degree offers you a focused, but fully rounded education.
We will support you to explore the underlying principles of software engineering, while helping you gain knowledge and practical experience of the latest technologies.
You will be encouraged to appreciate both the technical and human aspects involved in areas such as software systems and design, systems analysis, programming, database specification and design, and system security.
In addition to technical knowledge, you will have opportunities to gain experience in communication and presentation, problem solving and time management.
Our focus is on helping you develop industry-relevant skills that prepare you for a career in software engineering.
- Highly knowledgeable lecturers offering group and one-to-one support, ensuring that you can access the help and advice you need to succeed when you need it
- Guest speakers from industry and business, enabling you to ask questions, take part in debate and benefit from their knowledge, advice and guidance
- Flexible study options that include daytime, evening and weekend timetables, allowing you to fit your study around your personal and / or professional commitments
- Small classes which ensure that you can fully participate and benefit from receiving the full attention of our exceptional teaching team
- A central location offering excellent library and IT facilities, Wi-Fi and well-appointed teaching, learning and study areas in the heart of London’s vibrant west-end
Software engineers may work at any stage of the software development life cycle. Duties can include producing project requirements, writing algorithms, coding, testing, deployment, or maintenance.
A software engineering graduate will have developed a wide range of technical and transferable skills such as advanced IT skills, analytical skills, communication, creativity and innovation, independence, logic, numeracy, project management and organisation.
The demand for skilled and qualified software engineers is increasing. This is fostered by a transforming economic landscape, driven by the need for computing technology solutions.
Software engineering graduates who are new to the field often start out as programmers and work their way up to positions of greater responsibility, whether it’s as an architect or a project manager.
Jobs directly related to a software engineering degree include games development, systems development, web design, web development, search engine optimisation, information systems management and business analysis.
There are also a wide variety of career options available within the sectors of business, engineering, health care, gaming, publishing, IT, retail, education, medicine, aerospace and cyber security.
- UCAS points: 104
- Level 3: Any subjects are acceptable
- GCSEs: Five at grade C or above / grade 4 to 9
- IELTS: 5.0 with no less than 4.5 in any band (Non-native speakers)
If you didn’t study GCSEs / A-Levels and have non-traditional entry qualifications or relevant work experience we will be happy to consider your application. You’ll be required to attend an interview as part of the admissions process.
If you don’t meet the entry requirements for this course, please consider the BSc (Hons) in Software Engineering with Foundation Year (UCAS code: G531).
- UCAS Code: G530
- Duration: 3 years
- Level: RQF Level 3-6
- Awarding Body: University of Bolton
- Assessment: Exams, essays, reports and presentations
- Mode of Delivery: Full Time
- Timetable options: Week Days / Evenings / Weekends
- Campus: Central London, W1W 5BD
- Intake dates: September, January
- Fee: £8,100 per year
- Full course specification
Regent College London aims to provide current information for our prospectus and website at all times however, it may occasionally be unable to run an advertised course for reasons of operational viability and student experience. In the event that a course is unable to run, or is only available at a different campus, we will advise applicants and enrolled students at the earliest possible opportunity in writing. Applicants and students will, wherever feasible, be offered an alternative course or campus of study.
All fields that are mandatory in the form are marked with an *
Delivered in partnership with: